Losing teeth to dental problems like decay, gum disease, and trauma can be very distressing. Missing teeth lead to impaired oral function and unaesthetic appearance that can negatively impact your quality of life. Fortunately, with the advent of modern and innovative dental prostheses like bridges, you can get your teeth replaced in just 1 to 2 dental visits.
Among the different types of bridges available, porcelain bridges offered by the dentist in Willowdale, North York, ON, are the most widely preferred prosthesis in dental practice. These restorations offer aesthetic and permanent solutions to missing teeth.
Porcelain bridges unleashed
A porcelain bridge is a tooth-colored artificial prosthesis that replaces your missing tooth/teeth, thereby restoring your original oral form, function, and aesthetics. These are permanently fixed inside your oral cavity by gaining support from the teeth adjacent to the missing space.
Porcelain bridges consist of the following parts:
- Abutment teeth: These are the natural teeth on either side of the missing space that provide support to the bridge.
- Pontic: This is the false tooth that replaces a missing tooth/teeth
Uses of porcelain bridges
Dentists often recommend a porcelain bridge for the following purposes:
- To replace missing tooth/teeth
- To replace missing anterior (front) teeth for cosmetic reasons
- To prevent drifting or displacement of adjacent teeth into the missing space
- To prevent bone resorption
- To prevent malocclusion
- To restore normal mastication and speech
- To maintain your facial shape and structure
Exploring the procedure
Getting a porcelain bridge is simple and pain-free. Let’s understand the procedure involved.
- Evaluation of the oral cavity to determine the number of missing teeth
- Crown preparation of the abutment teeth by removing a portion of the enamel (often dentists perform root canal therapy for these teeth)
- Recording oral impressions and sending them to the laboratory
- Appropriate shade selection to match your natural teeth
- Creating a model for fabricating the bridge
- Placement of a temporary bridge to protect the prepared teeth until you receive the permanent prosthesis.
After about a week, you will receive your porcelain bridge. The prosthesis will be carefully evaluated for fit, adjusted accordingly, and permanently fixed using dental cement.
Porcelain bridges offer several benefits
Porcelain bridges offer the following advantages:
- Blend with your natural teeth easily
- Fixed and do not dislodge easily
- Offer permanent solutions
- Preserves the health of your jawbone
- Highly durable and long-lasting with proper care
A porcelain bridge is a fixed dental prosthesis that can effectively replace missing teeth. This is an excellent alternative to implants if you are unable to afford them and wait too long for tooth replacement.